Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Trials & Triumphs: Potty Training

Well... it's finally happened. I'm turning into a big girl so Mama and Daddy say it's time for me to learn how to use the potty. At first I thought it was great fun since I got to sit on the potty chair when Mama was going potty. Then after a while Mama said I needed to take my diaper off and sit on the potty seat. I wasn't too sure about that. But, Mama and Daddy put some books in the bathroom and let me look at them while I waited.

After a while I started to get the idea that I needed to go potty in the potty, but I didn't always want to in the beginning. When we went out I'd wear a pull-up, but I wouldn't tell anyone I needed to use the potty and I'd just go. Mama and Daddy weren't happy with me using a pull-up like a diaper, so we got me some training pants for during the day (I still use a pull-up at night, though). I didn't know I was supposed to wear them as hats until Mama showed me.

I've had some major mishaps along the way:
  • At first I ran around the house with nothing but a shirt on. Towards the beginning I had an accident in the kitchen. Mama told me to go sit on the potty, but instead I slipped in the accident and fell down. I hurt myself a little (that kitchen floor is hard!), but I think I hurt my feelings more. I'm glad Mama was there to hold me until I felt better.
  • Another day when I was also running around with nothing but a shirt on, I was playing in the living room and felt the urge to go. Mama was checking her email and noticed something go flying as I ran past but didn't know at first what it was. When she looked closer she realized I had needed to go poo-poo since it was a ball of poop that must've popped out my bottom as I went running past!
  • This is a mishap for Grandma C!! I was visiting Grandma and Grandpa one day recently and Mama told them when she dropped me off that I might need to use the potty. Well, Grandma helps me out of my shorts and undies and has me sit on the potty. Mama was right and I went potty like I was supposed to. After all the fan-fare, Grandma lifts up the lid to take out the cup and realized she left the cup in the bathroom!! So, while I did a FANTASTIC job if I do say so, Grandma dropped the ball this time. I still love you, though, Grandma C!
And despite the days of despair, I have had many triumphs! I'm getting really good at making it to the bathroom and hardly have any accidents now (as long as I'm not wearing anything). I've even started letting everyone know when I need to use the potty (or just want to check out the bathroom) when we are out so I've gotten better at not having accidents when we're not at home. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this! Wahoo!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Pumpkin Nutt!! You can do it!!

Even if Grandma C drops the ball on you....

LMAO

I love you Gabrielle!